SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The Estimator is responsible for the detailed completion of construction cost estimates for Ductwork, HVAC Piping and Plumbing Insulation projects. The Estimator must be able to learn and use computer aided estimating tools, and to be familiar with reading construction plans and specifications. This position will also require an understanding of construction contracts as they relate to estimated costs. Reports To: CEO/President
Duties & Responsibilities include the following:
- Perform accurate quantity take-offs of areas, piping, fittings and vessels
- Attend pre-bid meetings to be familiarized with the jobsite conditions as necessary.
- Review and evaluate projects to determine proper materials, applications and scope of work.
- Solicit material and subcontract pricing from vendors to incorporate into the bid
- Participate in bid reviews and compilation on bid day
- Determine labor and construction equipment costs
- Prepare conceptual estimates
- Meet and maintain bidding and work schedules
- Initiate appropriate correspondence with the customer in order to clarify vague or ambiguous statements or specifications, prior to finalizing your take-off
- Review all information, formulate final pricing and submit for final review between other personnel as may be appropriate
- Assure current and accurate bid activity data and labor studies
- Formulate a project schedule when dictated by specification or company policy
- Assist the Operations/Sales Representative with the preparation of the bid proposal
- Upon award of the subcontract, prepare schedule of the material requirements
- Assist Operations staff with estimates after bid award
- Perform post-bid buyouts (if applicable)
- Maintain good relationship with suppliers and subcontractors
- Complete other responsibilities as assigned
The marginal functions of this position have not been included. This job description in no way implies that these are the only duties to be performed. An employee will be required to follow any other job-related duties required by the manager.
This position has no direct reports.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
ENTREPRENEURSHIP – Ability to pioneer change; innovative to build new markets and new customer base; to generate efficiencies that bring value to customer.
PROBLEM SOLVING – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations.
COMMUNICATION – Speaks and writes clearly and informatively; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills. Effectively leads by example, communicates with team, ensuring all levels of the team are informed and acting as a single unit. Holds regular status meetings with the project team and effectively communicates relevant project information to management. Delivers engaging, informative, well organized presentations. Resolves and/or escalates issues in a timely fashion. Understands how to communicate difficult/sensitive information tactfully.
LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT – Trains, develops, and mentors team members, understands leadership and project management qualities and how to recognize those qualities in team members. Understands the importance of group and individual recognition, utilizes appropriately. Gives continuous performance feedback, work to grow each employee through their career. Ensures our team is utilizing computer systems appropriately. Ensures they have proper knowledge of systems and how they should be used.
SAFTEY AND SECURITY – Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
CUSTOMER SERVICE– Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments
INTERPERSONAL SKILLS – Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things
TEAMWORK – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interest; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed
PLANNING/ORGANIZING – Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Experience in Mechanical Insulation contracting required.
- Computer aided estimating experience required.
- MIKE or Bluebeam estimating experience desired.
- Associates Degree-Two years of college or trade school in construction related field, prefer Bachelor’s degree in engineering, construction management, or another technical field from an accredited university
- Five years’ experience in the multi-craft trade preferably as an estimator or project manager.
- Must have ability to read, interpret and accurately take-off constructions drawings.
- Must possess advanced skills in mathematics.
- Superior problem solving ability
- Ability to analyze qualitative data
- Exceptional analytical, statistical, quantitative, and deduction skills
- Ability to communicate effectively in a multicultural, multinational environment and mobilize cross-functional high performance teams
- Exceptional verbal communication skills
- Excellent written communication skills
Working knowledge in using personal computer and application software including Microsoft Word, Excel, & PowerPoint. Also, must be able to learn and utilize specialized software applications
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the team member is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The team member frequently is required to sit. The team member is occasionally required to stand, walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by an employee. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all responsibilities required of employees assigned to this position.
APPLY ONLINE or UPLOAD RESUME